Just in case you don't have May 12 — that's tomorrow, by the way — circled on your calendar, now's the time to grab that Sharpie and make a few rings around the date. That just happens to be the day that the Farmers Market returns to Market Square and the kickoff of our Thursdays in Market Square events. Now, we all know it's been a long, cool wet spring. But every time we stroll around the Market in the Square, we feel like we're walking on sunshine every Thursday from 10 a.m. -2 p.m. until November.
Of course, a lot of perennial favorites will set up tables and shop their wares tomorrow. It's kind of like getting back together with old friends or a high school reunion. We know that there are plenty of old acquaintances that we're looking forward to renewing — and getting to know even better in the weeks ahead. And if you look at the list below, you'll probably notice a smile stretching across your face as you spot a few of your favorite vendors:
• Greendance Winery — Take home a perfect bottle of vino for sipping with dinner
• Cinco de Mayo — It's always hot, hot, hot with these homemade salsas and prepared vegetables
• Gosia's Pierogies — Pittsburgh's favorite food in a pouch, ready to eat in the Square or to make at home
• Harvest Valley Farms — Your pick of 50 varieties of fresh produce (returning early June with their strawberry crop)
• Little Athens — Of course it's all Greek to us... food that is, and desserts too.
• Colaizzi Brothers — Satisfy your sweet tooth with speciality cakes and chocolates
• Clarion River Organics — Stop by and say hello to a cooperative of six farming families selling organic produce, meats, dairy, grains and kombucha, a fermented homemade herbal tea
• As I Am Naturals — Pamper yourself with artisan soaps and skincare products
Keep your eyes open for other new additions to the Farmers Market, such as an on-site market manager to help keep things going smoothly, samplings from local chefs, seasonal recipes and some social media fun happenings.
City Paper is bringing you Thursdays Noontime Concerts take the stage again, starting in June. We think this year's lineup of musical talent will strike the perfect chord as you dance to the music all summer long in the Square.
Note: If you miss our market tomorrow, or you just can't get enough of markets, the one at the City-County Building has its first day on Friday so you can stop by and say hi to them too!